2011-04-08

Orthdox Prayers for the Sick

Troparion Tone 4

O Christ, Who alone art quick to help, show from on high a speedy visitation to Thy suffering servant.  Deliver him from all illnesses and bitter pains, and raise him up to praise and glorify Thee unceasingly, through the intercessions of the Mother of God, O only Lover of men.

+ + +

O Physician of souls and bodies, with compunction and contrite hearts we fall down before Thee, and we groan and cry to Thee: Heal the diseases, cure the passions of the souls and bodies of Thy servants. Forgive them in Thy loving kindness all their sins voluntary and involuntary, and quickly raise them from the bed of sickness, we pray Thee, hear us and have mercy.

Lord, have mercy.

+ + +

Thee alone I follow, Lord Jesus, Who heals my wounds.  For what shall separate me from the love of God, which is in Thee?  Shall tribulation, or disease, or famine?  I am held fast as though by nails, and fettered by the bonds of charity.  Remove from me, O Lord Jesus, with Thy potent sword, the corruption of my sins. Secure me in the bonds of Thy love; cut away what is corrupt in me. Come quickly and make an end of my many, hidden and secret afflictions.  Open the wound lest the evil humour spread. With Thy new washing, cleanse in me all that is stained. Hear me, you earthly men, who in your sins bring forth drunken thoughts: I have found the Physician. He dwells in Heaven and distributes His healing on earth. He alone can heal my pains Who Himself has none.  He alone, Who knows what is hidden, can take away the grief of my heart, the fear of my soul.  Jesus Christ.  Christ is grace, Christ is life, Christ is Resurrection!  Amen.

Prayer of St. Ambrose who attributed this prayer to Apostle Matthew.

No comments:

Post a Comment