2011-07-06

Difficulty with Difficult Issues

Difficulty with Difficult Issues

A Middle Aged Man wrote:
February 16 at 4:15pm

Dearest Father, God Help us all!

I pray you are well. I want to talk w/ you about personal & spiritual matters. I pray you do not mind. I want to explain to you that I suffer from mental illness, inherited from both my parents. I am bipolar & struggle w/ severe depression. This has been a life long issue. Years ago, I had a very severe breakdown that I'm still feeling the effects of. Every so often this monster really strikes at me, it takes all my energy to fight back, but my sister needs help.

[a detailed explanation followed - snipped here for confidentiality]

This is where it's at. Again I & others are trying to steer her to get serious about help. So she is still taking no real responsibility for her actions & shows no remorse. She continues to lie & manipulate & neglect any responsibilities in her life. She keeps distant to me because she can't manipulate the truth & doesn't want to hear what I say. I'm so at a lost. My heart & soul is so very heavy & so exhausted. Thank you for caring, I send you my prayers & love.


Rev Fr John Brian replied:
February 17 at 4:00pm

I have prayed about this and for you and for your family.

First, let me say that I am sorry for the loss of your niece.

I am also sorry that your life has been such a struggle both internally and externally. I am familiar with the conditions of childhood and adult dysfunction, as a survivor and as a family member.

On this topic of your own diagnosis, I will assume that you have professional help with your biochemical imbalances.

What is important for us in these kinds of difficult circumstances is to be conscious - honest - aware... "Awake you who sleeps and rise from the dead." This "awake" state for some requires biochemical assistance, but more importantly requires perseverance of honesty, openminded and willingness to do what is good, holy, pure.

In honesty, we need to admit our own limitations and give everything else to God and His angels.

In openmindedness, we need to be able to see new directions, receive help from new sources, accept new even divergent ideas.

In willingness, we need to safely endure the current moment as it passes, wait for the opportunity (wait on the Lord) and then step forward in that new direction - which may mean away from those we love.

In all this perseverance remembering the promises of Christ, the teachings of David in the Psalms and other from the scripture and among the saints, how they endured for what is good, holy, pure.

Remember God loves each of us, each of your family, and sees them the way he made them (in His image) we may not be able to see as God sees. We need to admit our limitations with honesty - this also means accepting that God created each of us with free will - the ability to make decisions regardless of our circumstance.

It is not so much what is happening to us and around us, but HOW we deal with it.

May the Lord bless you with His peace and fill you with His love. May He give wisdom to take of care of that which you can, so that you will be better able to serve your family in the future.

Thank you for your prayers for me, an unworthy servant.


The Middle Aged Man replied:
February 26 at 2:17pm

Dear Fr. John Brian,

+++Father Bless+++
Thank you for your kindness & your love & prayers.
Your words fill my heart w/ faith & hope.
w/HIS LOVE,
Middle Aged Man
Spiritual Love sent using Butterflies on Facebook



Father John-Brian Paprock
From internet correspondence 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment