2011-06-22

KNOWING GOD'S WILL

KNOWING GOD'S WILL

If you want to know what is meant by "God's will", this is one way to get a good idea of it. "God's will" is certainly found in anything that is required of us in order that we may be united with one another in love. ...Everything that is demanded of me, in order that I may treat every other person effectively as a human being, "is willed for me by God under the natural law." ...I must learn to share with others their joys, their sufferings, their ideas, their needs, their desires. I must learn to do this not only in the cases of those who are of the same class, the same profession, the same race, the same nation as myself, but when those who suffer belong to other groups, even to groups that are regarded as hostile. If I do this, I obey God. If I refuse to do it, I disobey Him. It is not therefore a matter left open to subjective caprice.


Thomas Merton
New Seeds of Contemplation
New York: New Directions Press, 1961; p 76-77
(with appreciation to Jim Forest, Orthodox Peace Fellowship)
042209

No comments:

Post a Comment