2011-06-27

To Transmit the Message of Love and Respect

To Transmit the Message of Love and Respect

Excerpted from the transcript of a video interview by Charlie Rose
http://www.charlierose.com/

[At the end of 50+ minute interview, the following:]

ECUMENICAL PATRIARCH BARTHOLOMEW:

I think that I'm simply a servant of God and of my faith. I tried to do my
best according to the necessities and possibilities of today at the
beginning of the 21st century, to be in contact with the reality of everyday life, not to live only in theory or only within the walls of the church, but to be present in among the faithful everywhere.

That's why I travel a lot, and sometimes I am criticized that I travel too
much. But my feeling is that I have to bring the message of the gospel, the
love of the church, the sympathy of the church all over the world.

But if you like, if I am permitted to say, not only to Orthodox faith, but
to all human beings, an environment for which we work and try to make a
small contribution is not a matter of Orthodox only. It is a matter of all
of human beings.

I try to transmit the message of love and respect, of course, for God our
creator, for all of our fellow human beings, and for the creation, which, I
repeat, is sacred because it came out of the hands of God.

The Ecumenical Patriarchate is a very, very important historic religious
institution based in Turkey, in Istanbul of today, for 1,700 years, if you
can imagine, Mr. Rose.

And such an old institution which offers so many things to the church and
the humankind, not only as religion but also as civilization, culture, must
be protected in order to survive and to continue its ecumenical mission, its ecumenical message, which is spiritual, is human, is a message of love,
tolerance, reconciliation.

This is what I try to do. And if there is such a positive appreciation of
my humble deeds, this is an honor for me.

CHARLIE ROSE: As it is for me to sit with you. Your all holiness, I thank
you very much for this time.

ECUMENICAL PATRIARCH BARTHOLOMEW: Thank you.

[End of Interview]

No comments:

Post a Comment